SENIOR STAFF ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNICATIONS TRANSPORT AND CORPORATION (SSACTAC)
Our great Association, the Senior Association of
Communications, Transport and Corporations (SSACTAC) is a registered trade
union body organizing senior workers in various organizations in the
communications, transport and public sectors of Nigeria’s economy.
The branch of our Association in the Nigerian Ports Authority is strong and has the singular opportunity of producing the Association’s current President-General.
Our duty to our members and indeed all workers in
organizations we represent is to work for their interests through effective
social partnerships and interactions with Managements and other concerned
parties to guarantee industrial harmony in the work environment and ensure that
the genuine aspiration of all stakeholders in the workplace are met.
In the course of this duty in the Nigerian Port Authority, we have identified certain factors enumerated hereunder as problems which cause tension in the work environment.
1. GRATUITY - These are yet to be paid to deserving retirees.
2. PENSION - Dues are not remitted to the appropriate Retirement Saving Account (RSAs) of all employees.
3. NPA TECHNICAL CENTRE, DOCKYARD, APAPA - The leasing of the above centre to Yaba College of Technology is not profitable to both the NPA as a body and the main industry.
4. END OF THE YEAR BONUS/13TH MONTH SALARY - Yet to be paid in line with guidelines.
5. PROMOTIONAL/ADVANCEMENT OF DESERVING STAFF - No plans to effect this .
6. MONETIZATION ARREARS - Not yet paid in line with directives of the Federal Government.
7. CONDITIONS OF SERVICE -Yet to be reviewed in line with current development in the industry.
Having enumerated the problems and being of the strong opinion that NPA has capable hands at all levels to resolve these amicably, we state our requests 9prayers) as below:
A. GRATUITY AND PENSION - External bodies like PENCOM and Pension Fund Administrators should be engaged to tackle all the outstanding matters.
B. PAYMENT OF OUTSTANDING DEMANDS - The Management should effect payments on the arrears on Monetization and the End of Year Bonus/13th Month Salary in line with Federal Government directives and position reached with the house unions.
C. APPROVAL FOR MANAGEMENT - The Board should give Management necessary approval to put in motion and complete all matters related to Promotions/Advancement of deserving staff and review of the current condition of service.
D. REVOCATION OF LEASE - The lease of NPA Technical Centre, Dockyard, Apapa, Lagos to the Yaba College of Technology should be revoked with immediate effect. The centre should be retooled and put into service for the Nigerian Port Authority and the Marine Industry in Nigeria which has its hub on it.
E. Finally, it is the belief of SSACTAC that you will give these matters the necessary favourable attention to enable us move ahead in the year 2010.
Thank you for your attention.
BARR. L. A. ADESUNKANMI